Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Yea..I'm A Boxer. Well, Sort of....

Hey peeps, so in my efforts to get fit and change my lifestyle...I decided to take up boxing. Why? Its genectic, both parts were boxers...so, I just wanted to share my ummm...experience as a boxer in training. Enjoy!

When I first walked into the gym, I was sooo excited I was nearly jumping off the walls. I bought some red handwraps and Jared, wrapped my hands. We spark up a little conversation, "I'm so excited, I ran a mile before I got here." Jared gave me the side eye and laughed, "oh, yeah...you're really excited." I should've took the hint there and ran for the exit. I wasn't gonna pay him any attention, all he does is wrap hands, whatever.

I got there a bit early so I had a minute to stretch and get my mind into it. I honestly did not know what I was getting myself into. When I spoke with my Daddy earlier...he was just like, "you know, it's a hard workout." I understood but brushed it off with a, I can handle it type attitude. I mean, I've lead rock climbing expeditions, bouldered, trained in a gym, can run 5 miles...although, right now, I am not in the best shape of my life, I still have the determination of star athlete in preparation for the olympics. <---maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but still...I can take it.


What an arrogant, self absorbed ass I turned out to be! I mean really...I had no clue!

Ignorant as to what lay ahead...excitedly, I chose a 150lbs bag, got my gloves on, I was ready for the class. The trainor came in running about 5 minutes late...he hurried up and came to the front of the class. I was thinking okay cool...he was what I was expecting, a fit guy...looks like a boxer, probably a hard trainor but not that pushy, not lietenant drill team difficult...then...this ninja said, "gloves off, 100 jump and jacks." I said...fuck you. (in my head...in my head) The entire class seem to hop right in with just a few who were like me...a little aprehensive. He looked at me, and said, "100 jump-n-jacks, that's how we do. Lets go! Count'em out. ONE, TWO, THREY, FO!" With every synchronized arm leg motion...I wanted call out to Jesus but I couldn't...I was out of breath, didn't want to lose what little I had by shouting.

After the burn from my legs and arms, I was ready to take a break. Nah..."aight, run in place, hands at your guard, high knees." That ain't running! That's like a march run combination...what in the hell did I get myself into. I was ready to cry but I didn't. I got a hold of myself, I figure...if this old white guy next to me could do this, I could. If this fat ass lady could...I HAD to represent for the young adult african american female. Giving up was not an option. So I pushed. Then...push ups. I didn't psyche myself out, although I wanted to ball when he showed us what he expected, and no...there is no such thing as girl pushup. We got in form..."Down!" We had to go down and pump three time, pause mid way, go down again and push back up...that was a count of one. When he saw me stop...he said, "don't fatigue, if you can't go down, stay in your plank." I didn't know which one was worst. Staying in the plank or doing the actual pushups...It was agonizing. Damn, we haven't even gotten to the boxing yet. Was this what he considered a warm up? We still werent done, shit! Next were squats, arm rotations and again with damn jump-n-jacks, only stretching in between and 30sec breaks...timed.

Finally...boxing. This was when everything came together. We did three rounds of just jabs or combinations for those who were a little advanced. Each round was a minute but here's the catch...there were three sets of speed. One was "60sec speed"-slowest but still good pace. "30sec speed"-faster then "15sec speed' which was as fast as you could go. Within each round he would call out a speed and we had to go. That was for three rounds. Then we did another three rounds where he did numbers....he would call out a number and we had to hit the bag that amount of times.."3----2----9---3------9------------2-3-1-1-2-12-14-9. We did that for three rounds. I was really getting into it then...I didn't even realize when the bell sounded. I was tired but ready to hit the bag again. What a stress reliever. Then we did one minute straight of free style, constantly moving, circuling the bag. We had a 2 second rule, you could not be still more than 2 seconds. After those rounds, we did abs; no, its not over yet. Bicycle, neck rotations (don't ask me what muscles are in your neck, hell if I know), legs straight up and toe reaches, turn over...mountain climb. Three sets of that...then, of course, jump-n-jacks and thank God...an hour had elapsed. He gave everyone high fives and encouragement. I didn't want to but I figured it would be unsportsman like conduct.

In the end, after gathering myself. I realized, I actually felt great and accomplished. I'm going to join and keep it up. It's a great stress reliever and it builds my confidence. I definitely recommend this to anyone! Its great. Did I mention that it's great?

I've set goals: to kick ass! Be hot while I'm kicking ass...and health and fitness and all that jazz.

"Hold your guards up...high knees! ONE TWO THREY FO"

No comments: